- Born in 1967 in Darmstadt, Germany
- "Diplom" in Information Systems from the Darmstadt University of Technology in 1992
- Doctorate in Economics at the University of St. Gallen, Switzerland in 1995 including a research period at the Nanyang University of Singapore
- Assistant to the Board of Bertelsmann in 1996 and 1997
- Taskgroup-supervisor at the Institute for Information Systems at the University of Göttingen (1998-2001); interim professor at the University of Augsburg during the summer term 2001
- Habilitation at the University of Göttingen in 2001
- Full Professor for Information Systems & Management and Director of the Institute for Digital Management and New Media (prev. Institute for Information Systems and New Media) at Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München (LMU) since 2001
- Rejected a proposal for a chair at the University of Mannheim (2004)
- Visiting Professor at the Turku School of Economics and Business Administration (spring 2004)
- Dean of the Munich School of Management at Ludwig-Maximilian-University Munich (2008-2011), Chairman of the Business Information Systems Research Committee from 2011 to 2013
- Member of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences and Humanities since 2017
- Co-editor (and others) of the journals: Journal of Management Information Systems ,The International Journal on Media Management, Electronic Markets as well as MedienWirtschaft and Zeitschrift für Controlling und Management
- Founder and member of the board of directors of BIDT, founder and member of the board of IBC e.V., member of the board of directors of Münchner Kreis
- Consultant and member of a supervisory board with main focus on media management, ICT industry and information management
- Chanias, S.; Myers, M.; Hess, T. (2019)
Digital transformation strategy making in pre-digital organizations: The case of a financial services provider
published in: Journal of Strategic Information Systems (28:1), pp. 17-33.
- Hess, T. (2019)
Digitale Transformation strategisch steuern. Vom Zufallstreffer zum systematischen Vorgehen.
published in: Springer Fachmedien
- Singh, A.; Hess, T. (2017)
How Chief Digital Officers Promote the Digital Transformation of Their Companies
published in: MIS Quarterly Executive (16:1), pp. 1-17.
- Berger, B.; Matt, C.; Steininger, D. M.; Hess, T. (2015)
It Is Not Just About Competition with “Free”: Differences Between Content Formats in Consumer Preferences and Willingness to Pay
published in: Journal of Management Information Systems (JMIS) (32:3), pp. 105-128.
- Wagner, T.; Benlian, A.; Hess, T. (2014)
Converting freemium customers from free to premium – The role of the perceived premium fit in the case of music as a service
published in: Electronic Markets (24:4), pp. 259-268.